Saturday, June 25, 2016

"Chuck Wagon"

"Chuck Wagon"
12" x 16" Pastel on Sandpaper
© Monique Straub
This little piece is the result of another item I've check off my "bucket list." Every year I go to the San Diego County Fair and see all of the artists participating in the Plein Air Painting Contest, and I say to myself, "Next year I'm going to do that!" Well, I finally mustered up the courage to tote my box full of pastels and other paraphernalia necessary to create in the great outdoors. Accompanied by a painting buddy, we carefully selected a site that was in the shade, with a nice breeze, near the potty, and close to the food...all the critical elements for artistic comfort.

I had a great view of the big wheel in the distance, and this fun little food kiosk "Chuckwagon" right there in front of me! The smell of the bbq cookers was incredible to say the least. After our six hour timed period to create our pieces, 45 artists presented their works for public view on easels outside the Fine Art exhibit hall. A good time was had by all. Later that evening, as I was sitting on the sofa watching tv with my hubby, I kept telling him, "Mmm, one of the neighbors is BBQing," Turns out, it was me I was smelling. Standing in the BBQ smoke all day had permeated my hair, my shoes and my clothing...and my hubby loves BBQ!

"Chuck Wagon" is painted in soft pastel on sandpaper, offered framed in a dark brown wood, plein air style frame with gold liner and UV/non-glare museum glass, ready to hang and enjoy. You may purchase here and have it shipped to your door, or purchase here and pick it up at my studio at Art on 30th, and I will refund the shipping. $350 + $40 to ship anywhere in the continental US or Canada.
Updated 6/26/16: Sold...and on its way to North Carolina!

No comments: