Monday, July 25, 2016

"California Color"

"California Color"
12" x 16" Pastel on Sandpaper
© Monique Straub
There is something so joyful about big, bold color. Some days I just can't get enough. I'm often asked how I achieve these colors in pastel. The secret is in the materials. In order to achieve intensely luminous color, you must start with highly pigmented, pastel sticks. These "professional" grade pastels are available in a variety of shapes and degrees of softness. I have four different brands of pastels in my box, ranging from firm, to soft and creamy. It's really a very personal choice when it comes to the "feel" of the brand. I have found that I'm a bit heavy handed, and the super soft brands will crumble in my hands, so I prefer a mid-range feel. Paper is the other determining factor of results. I prefer "sanded" papers, which actually feel a bit like an emory board. They grip a nice thick layer of pastel, resulting in deep, rich color.

"California Color" is painted in soft pastel on sandpaper, offered framed in a dark brown wood, plein air style frame with UV/non-glare museum glass, ready to hang and enjoy. You may purchase here and have it shipped to your door, or purchase here and pick it up at my studio at Art on 30th, and I will refund the shipping. $375 + $40 to ship anywhere in the continental US or Canada. Updated 8/14/16: Sold...at ArtWalk Liberty Station.

No comments: